This blog was originally created & updated weekly during the Fall 2007 Semester, but I now just periodically add to it when I want to rant.

Thursday, September 20, 2007

Tangeble Accomplishment


Well, I am finally done with my drafting desk that I constructed a frame for from scratch. The desktop I had purchased for my 2nd year studio in Architecture, as well as the straight edge. Together they were more than $100 new, and I wasn't using them. I debated on selling them, but I didn't think I would nearly get out of it what I paid.

The desks I owned were small and portable (you could disassemble them easily), but had begun falling into disrepair. I figured I would just copy the models I had and build a frame from wood using my drafting/construction knowledge.

I am very happy with the result. The only thing I need to add is a couple of knobs on the back to adjust the table angle by hand. I had to improvise and bought some conduit and junction box feeders to attach underneath. For the amount it raises, it works well. Now I have much more room to work, and it is already getting plenty of use, as you can see by the picture.

There is just something nice about creating something that you can use. I know I will get plenty of use from this for years to come.

No comments: