This blog was originally created & updated weekly during the Fall 2007 Semester, but I now just periodically add to it when I want to rant.

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

My inauguration speech response.

I just think that it is strange that being on campus in a public area due to being in between classes I have to be televised by someone (or several people for that matter) to show my response. Because I am in public, does that make me more or less enthusiastic?

The last inauguration that I remember was surprisingly Reagan's due to it was my first I witnessed on television. I was about 6 or 7 years old.

Now I am 34 and realize the significance of this event. It seems that more people are there then my first memory. Barack seems so anxious and humble at once. And the audience members seem so inspired by what is taking place. You can see in his facial expression that he is ready to be a leader in his future actions.

The pastor's annunciation of "Sasha" reminds me of Bush's annunciation of "Botswana".

Now while Aretha sings, Barack seems statuesque.

Biden is now taking his oath of office.

The CNN crawl seems ridiculous. "what's happening now", "Up Next". Just watch and appreciate. If you are that uninformed, you deserve to stay that way. Sorry.

Oh great, here comes Wolf Blitzer commentating on the whole thing. Am I watching the play by play of a sporting event? Shut up. Let me appreciate the composition of John Williams performed by very notable musicians. It's rude to interrupt assuming we think your information is more important. Just let them give pause to this moment in history.

Barack is ready. His stutter is human. The union erupts.

I didn't want to type while he gave his first speech as president. The two things that struck me most are the fact that people will judge you on what you can build, not by what you can destroy. Very inspirational. It makes me want to act and on contribute to society in a positive manner. Whether it is noticed or not is insignificant. The simple fact that it is done is what matters.

The other is that he took notice of not only the country's diversity, but also his own in the personal experience of not being served in a local restaurant many years ago, and how now he is taking the most sacred of oaths. What a country of change. He is a poet of sorts and a skillful wordsmith. He lets me live vicariously through his words.

The presidential poem was a distraction for many at the union, and that insults me a bit. I realize that Obama is done speaking, but he made the decision that he wanted this to be included as part of the ceremony. Do not deprive yourself of it and learn why he chose this to be a part of it.

He will be a good informant on what he feels needs to be done, and what directions need to be made. It gives me faith that this nation's people are more educated than I once thought in the recent past. The fact that Bush can not only be elected beforehand, but re-elected after his first term actions amazed me on the ignorance of the American public. Now my faith has been restored in them in the present day. Let's see where that takes us.

No comments: